Why would I use it?
I'll describe briefly how we use GitHub, Jira and Jenkins together to make better development process. More details will come later when I get some desire :). OK, lets look what benefits we have from using these tools.
GitHub with Jenkins
GitHub has number of Service Hooks and one of them is for Jenkins. It allows to trigger build jobs when pushes are made to GitHub. You don't need to have any skill to do that, let's look on screen below. So once you made a push, Jenkins start to work.
GitHub with JIRA
It's possible to made connection between JIRA and GitHub, so once you made push to GitHub JIRA will update related ticket, you only need to specify ticket number in comments. As a result you will have history with commits directly in JIRA ticket. Let's look on ticket I've closed few days ago.
You can see what exactly have been done in order to fix the ticket. Also you can get more details if you wish, you only need to click on any of those updated files and then you will see that
Jenkins and Domino
That is most complicated part. In order to synchronize changes from GitHub to Domino application we use Jenkins (if you remember once push happens we trigger hook on Jenkins). Unfortunately there are no plugins that could do that, instead you have to write your own. That's it why we have ~60 seconds delay (I mentioned it in previous posts) after push.
For me JIRA and GitHub is de facto standard our days. Jenkins in our case is necessary to use in order to push changes from GitHub to Domino. It's a bit complicated process so you need before, if it is really what you need.
Other articles in this series
- How we build our web applications based on Domino
- Split back-end and front-end areas, they should not block each other and be independent as much as it is possible.
- Front-end guys should not have any knowledge about Domino, they don't need IBM Designer installed at all.
- Back-end guys must have knowledge about Domino, however they don't need to use IBM Designer, only in very rare cases. Backend should be done using only Java (no LS/SSJS/@Formula etc)
- Using Git+Jira is must and Jenkins server as builder server